Thursday, January 28, 2010

Digger the Dog finds Strength

Here is the story that I will tell to the 2-6 and 7-12 year olds. This Friday the groups will be together and we will start the feeding program again. Some children will relate as I tell the story of a Haiti child going through the earthquake, through the eyes of our lovable character Digger the Dog. My plan is to bring him back several times throughout the year. Showing the way God is there to help the children through the trama of this Earthquake. This story is that God is our Strength.


Good morning boys and girls.

This morning I would like to tell you a story.
The character in today’s story is about a 7-year-old dog.
His name is Digger.

(How many here today are 7 yrs old)
(What is our character?-dog)
(The dogs name is?-Digger)

First lets see how strong you are. Show me you muscles (have a fun game with them)
==========
Digger had 5 brothers and 3 sisters
(How many brothers and sisters do you have?)
Digger was also the youngest in the family, and the smallest.

Digger loved his family a lot, even though they teased him for being so small.
Now Digger was not that strong for his size.
He worked hard to get water every morning for his family.
It was a lot of work, but he managed to bring the water home without spilling one drop.

He liked to sing his favorite song as he worked.
(Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so, little ones to him belong, I am weak, but He is strong, mmmmm…)

You see Digger knew who Jesus was, his mom always taught him to love God.
This song reminded Digger that even though he is small, and weak, Jesus is strong.

He liked to pray for his brothers and sisters to.
Many did not want Jesus in their life.
=========
One night he was playing with his friends
(do you like spending time with your friends)
He was so tired from playing he decided to finally go home to bed.

Every morning his mother would remind him.
“Digger. No matter how your brothers treat you, act the way Jesus would act.
He will give you strength to love your family.
Today Digger’s mom was already gone to the market when he climbed out of bed.

“Digger you lazy dog get up” “Digger. DIGGER!”
Digger opened his eyes.
“What, hmm”
Eric his oldest brother said, “I’m thirsty. Get up baby and get to work.”
Digger had no father, so Eric provided for the family, and gave the orders,
which Digger had to follow or he would get the belt.
(does that happen to you sometimes?)

It was the afternoon and the sun was hot.
But he still needed to go get water for the day.
He picked up his bucket and began to walk.

But this morning he did not want to sing.
He was mad at his brother.
(do you get mad when people are not nice to you)

“I’m not lazy,” he said. “And I’m not a baby either!” “I don’t like you Eric. I wish you weren’t my brother.”
(was Digger acting nice?-No)
(What is his brother name?-Eric)
(What did he say about Eric?-I wish you weren’t my brother)

“Its so hot”. Digger said. “I need to stop and rest. Eric can wait for his water.”
He decided to take a rest under some shade.

He then remembered what is mother told him every morning.
“Digger. No matter how your brother treats you, act the way Jesus would act.”

It was getting late so in no time he filled his water bucket and headed home.
=====
Suddenly the ground began to shake. “What’s happening?” he cried.
He froze and couldn’t move. Digger did not like the way he was feeling.
All he could do was watch as people ran screaming.
He watched in horror as homes fell around him.

In seconds it was over but it felt like hours to him.
He dropped his bucket and began to run home.
“Mommy. MOMMY! Where are you mommy I’m scared!”

Digger did not like what he saw or heard. He did not understand what was happening.
He began to sing (I am weak but He is strong.)
(Who is strong?-Jesus)
++++++
That day Eric, Diggers older brother died, and all his sisters. They even lost their home.

Digger started to ask questions!
“Why do we have no home? Where will we sleep?”
“What will we eat mummy?”
“Why did Eric have to die mommy?
I killed Eric because I wished we was not my brother?”

Then he remembered he dropped his water bucket. “Mommy, what will we drink?”
“Are you mad at me? Does Jesus hate us?”
I’m scared to go back to school. The ground might shake and the school might fall on me!”

Digger had many questions.
Digger’s mom sat and listened to him quietly. She was very sad to.
She finally said, “Digger. What’s your favorite song?”
Digger replied “Jesus loves me”
“And what else does the song say”
he answered quietly “When I am weak HE is STRONG!”

“You are right Digger. Psalms 28:7 says, “The Lord is my strength, I will put my trust in Him.”
“Erik was strong. Did he trust in God mommy?”
“Yes he did Digger. That’s why we can miss him but we don’t need to be sad.”
“One day we will see Eric again in Heaven.”
“God has a plan for all of us.”

“Digger.”
“Yes Mommy.”
“Repeat after me, The Lord is my strength. I will put my trust in Him.”
“Let’s ask God to give us strength.

Let’s pray
(Pray with children)


In His Service,

No comments:

Post a Comment